Thursday, March 7, 2013

Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA (2013)




Brewer's Notes: "Rye has bee a staple grain for millenia - sought after for its stubborn resilience in the field and revered for its unique flavor.  Ruthless Rye IPA is brewed with rustic grains for refined flavors - combining the peppery spice of rye and the bright citrusy flavors of whole-cone hops to create a complex ale for the tumultuous transition to Spring."

Overall Impression
I don't love this beer, but I don't hate it either.  I wouldn't turn it down if I was offered one, but I am not running to the store to buy another 6 pack for awhile.  Its darker and hoppier than I'm used to, and I'm sure as my taste buds for beer mature a bit more, I'll like it even more the next time around.  My boy friend describes this as a "man's beer," and I think that's an adequate description. You like hops? Then this is for you!

Alcohol by Volume: 6.6%

Color
Darker, almost amber. Slight honey and golden tinges.  Clear, no visible carbonation. Thick foam, 3 fingers, which lingers for awhile on the glass.

Aroma
Smells spicy and almost like fresh rain, with heavy hops.

Flavor
This beer reminds me of a forest.  Its not terribly dark, but its definitely woody. It starts very heavy, almost a shock to the tongue, but it becomes more neutral and citrusy as you swish it around your mouth. My friend describes this as a "man's beer" :)  A lot of hops!

No comments:

Post a Comment