Monday, March 25, 2013

Santa Barbara Winery, Santa Barbara CA


This is the first winery I've ever been to in Santa Barbara County and I've loved it ever since.  There is always friendly pourers, delicious wine, and cute decor.  Throughout the week they also have an olive oil company come in and do olive oil tastings in the same room, and they have some delicious varieties such as garlic, chili, and even habanero.  If you're lucky, the winemaker himself Pierre Lafond (also owner of Lafond Winery in Buellton) sometimes comes in for a visit! Fun fact - Pierre Lafond started the first winery in Santa Barbara County!


From the tasting room you can see into the barrel room which they've snazzed up with some pretty lights.  I always love seeing the barrels for some reason, it gives a nice and authentic feel to it :) Plus something about seeing all that wine makes me happy! I've come to taste here at least 10 times, and I've never left disappointed.  Visit their website here. This was also the first winery that I ever tried Lagrein, Primitivo, or Nebbiolo - all absolutely delicious!


It is $10 for a tasting of 6 wines, and you get to keep the glass!


Riesling (2010), Gold Medal 2012 Gold Coast Wine Competition, $15: "This particular wine is an off-dry style, with just a hint of sweetness at 2.3% residual sugar.  This wine shows great potential for our growing estate Riesling program."
  • Color - golden, slightly lime.
  • Aroma - lime, citrus, pineapple
  • Taste - sweet yet smooth. Crisp, with hints of citrus and pineapple.
  • ABV - 13.8%
  • Overall - I really liked this wine, even though I'm not a big fan of whites.  It was the perfect balance of sweet and crisp, and it was very refreshing.
Pinot Gris (2011), $16: "Clean, crisp, vibrant and refreshing, our Pinot Gris is the perfect wine for warm Santa Barbara afternoons and pairs beautifully with rich and spicy dishes.  A cool stainless stell fermentation maintains the crisp acidity of the wine while putting forth fresh apple and pear flavors."
  • Color - very clear, slightly golden.
  • Aroma - dry.
  • Taste - dry, almost bland.  Hint of pear, kind of tart.
  • ABV - 14.6%
  • Overall - I didn't enjoy this wine as much as the last, it just didn't have the character I look for.

Reserve Chardonnay (2010), $24: "Thirty-year-old vines yielding clusters of small yet concentrated fruit, and the unique terroir of Santa Barbara's Santa Rita Hills AVA, as well as the combination of 100% barrel fermentation and aging all play a significant role in making our Reserve Chardonnay truly world class.  Its body, structure, and toasty, buttery flavors make it the perfect companion for mild seafood, poultry, other light meats and desserts."
  • Color - yellow with a hint of lime.
  • Aroma - typical Chardonnay aroma, semi-sweet.
  • Taste - buttery, creamy, and smooth.
  • ABV - 14.8%
  • Overall - This is my all-time favorite Chardonnay, and is actually the one white I've tried that has made me decide to give all the rest a chance.  When I first tried it months ago, I was shocked by the unique butteriness this brings.  Its addicting, really.  Ever since, I have not tried a Chardonnay as good as this one.

Santa Rita Hills Pinot Noir (2010), Gold Medal 2012 Winner at Long Beach Grand Cru and Pacific Rim Wine Competition, $25: "A great example of a light-bodied red, Pinot Noir is typically bright, juicy and low in tannin.  Common flavors and aromas associated with Pinot Noir are black cherry, strawberry, lavender and jasmine."
  • Color - deep and pretty burgundy; almost velvety.
  • Aroma - pleasantly sweet and fruity.
  • Taste - smoky yet fruity.
  • ABV - 14.7%
  • Overall - I feel as though (and the pourer agreed) that this particular wine could use another year.  It wasn't horrible, but my friend and I both agreed that it was just alright.  Its definitely not a bad drink, however.

Grenache (2010), $28: "Grenache in this cool zone produces a wine that is different from the warmer areas - fruietier and spicier with a hint of white pepper - more nuanced."
  • Color - deep burgundy with purples.
  • Aroma - deep and fruity while also sweet and smoky.  Perhaps some dark cherry or currants, I'm in love with the smell.
  • Taste - fruity and complex, deep and delicious.
  • ABV - 15.2%
  • Overall - This is how a red should taste, and I'm in love with this wine.  When asked if I wanted to revisit anything, I asked for another hearty pour of this gem!  It is silky, well-balanced, and absolutely beautiful.  This is my favorite wine on the list.
Petite Sirah (2009), $28: "Picked over a three week period and from three vineyards the wine is complex with rich full flavors."
  • Color - deep purple and burgundy; gorgeous coloring.
  • Aroma - semi sweet and musty.
  • Taste - deep flavor of blackberry and black cherry, dry finish.
  • ABV - 14.2%
  • Overall - This was my second favorite wine on the tasting menu; very tasty and full-bodied.

No comments:

Post a Comment